Covenant supports a Freedom School site at Highland Renaissance Academy serving 70 children in grades K-8. The school runs from June 18 through July 26.
Get connected: You can browse opportunities and sign up on our Freedom School page.
Ways to Serve at Freedom School
- Great Day of DEAR: Read one-on-one with a child during The Great Day of D.E.A.R (Drop Everything and Read) on Wednesday, July 18 from 12:45 to 1:45 p.m.
- BE A SUPPLY SHOPPER. Each week the site coordinator will compile a list of needed supplies. Volunteers with get the list, go shopping and bring the items to school on Friday. These expenses can be reimbursed. Open dates for shopping are the weeks beginning Monday, June 18, June 25, July 2, July 9, July 16 and July 23.
- PROVIDE GIFTS TO THE TEACHER/INTERNS. We send small gifts to each intern every Friday (usually around 12-14 gifts). These gifts are usually baked goods, water bottles, paper and pens, ice cream treats or gift cards…really anything is appreciated and creativity is welcomed!!! These expenses are not reimbursed. Open dates for gifts are Fridays, June 22, June 29, July 6, July 13 and July 20.
- JUBILEE COORDINATOR. The Freedom School Jubilee is July 12 this year. It is an incredible celebration of all Freedom Schools. We need someone to work with the site coordinator and me to buy and make supplies for Jubilee.
- FIELD TRIP VOLUNTEER. Come make a new friend. The Freedom School kids love their Covenant volunteer friends. Please join them on one or many more of their field trips. Be sure to register at Volunteer Hub and agree to the Child Protection Policy.
- AFTERNOON ACTIVITY. Prepare and lead an activity at Highland with the kids for an afternoon (about an hour and a half). These dates are great for special art or music projects, group service projects etc… Be Creative! Contact Kim Robertson for specific dates.
- HARAMBEE READER. This is a 15 minute time commitment, beginning at 8:30 a.m. during the morning pep rally called Harambee -- an uplifting way to engage on the way to work!
- FINALE HELPER. Help out with the Summer Celebration/Finale luncheon for the kids on July 26.
- SITE CLEAN-UP. Help with packing and cleaning up the site on July 27.
- PARENT MEETINGS. Help serve dinner at the evening parent meetings at Highland on June 27, July 11 and July 18 (from 5:30-8 p.m.).
- CHILDREN’S BOOKS. Did you know that the Charlotte Mecklenburg library regularly sells books taken out of circulation -- sometimes for as low as 10 cents per book? Next time you visit your local branch, please consider purchasing youth and children's books to share with our friends at Highland Renaissance Academy. Simply drop the books off in the Rec Wing. For questions, please contact Lauren Sawyers (firstname.lastname@example.org).
SECOND HARVEST FOOD BANK BAGS: The Highland Freedom School site will receive bags of food from Second Harvest for each Freedom School family to take home every week of the summer. One or more volunteers from Covenant will be responsible for picking up the food from Second Harvest (app 50 bags - the size of a book bag and filled with cans) and delivering to Highland. Ideally the volunteer(s) would have a truck, SUV, or van to haul the bags of food. The bags will be given to scholars as they leave on Fridays.
We ask you to pick up the bags from Second Harvest on Thursday (more details to come) and drop them off at the Highland Freedom School office before 2pm for our scholars to take home on Friday.
- CLEANING SUPPLIES. Freedom School Partners is collect cleaning supplies for Parent Gift Bags. We need items for the gift bags that are given to a family (selection by raffle) attending one of our 48 parent meetings this summer. These cleaning and hygiene articles are items that are essential to a household but cannot be purchased with food stamps. We need at least 144 gift bags for 16 sites.
Example list of items for gift bags/baskets:
1 sturdy bag or basket (some donors use laundry baskets or reusable grocery bags)
1 large container color-safe laundry detergent
1 large bottle dishwashing soap
1 spray bottle glass cleaner
1 can Lysol spray
1 medium bottle liquid hand soap
4 bars body soap
2 sticks deodorant
2 tubes toothpaste
4 rolls toilet paper
Please bring all contributions to the Covenant Rec Wing.