Covenant supports a Freedom School site at Highland Renaissance Academy serving 80 children in grades K-8. The school runs from June 19 through July 27. You can check out the volunteer opportunities by visiting our Volunteer Hub page.
Snack bags: Another way to serve is to contribute snack bags and teacher appreciation gifts. Please click here for the sign-up page.
In addition to volunteers, we also need gently used books for grades K-8. See details below.
Ways to Serve at Freedom School
- BE A SUPPLY SHOPPER. This year we will get our lists on Monday or Tuesday, and they need the supplies at Highland the following Friday afternoon. We are thrilled about this schedule because we have the week to shop. These expenses can be reimbursed. Open dates for shopping are Mondays, June 19, June 26, June 29, July 3, July 10 and July 17.
- PROVIDE GIFTS TO THE TEACHER/INTERNS. We send small gifts to each intern every Friday (usually around 10 gifts). These gifts are usually baked goods, water bottles, paper and pens, ice cream treats or gift cards…really anything is appreciated and creativity is welcomed!!! These expenses are not reimbursed. Open dates for gifts are Fridays, June 23, June 30, July 7, July 14 and July 21.
- JUBILEE COORDINATOR. The Freedom School Jubilee is July 13 this year. It is an incredible celebration of all Freedom Schools. We need someone to work with the site coordinator and me to buy and make supplies for Jubilee.
- FIELD TRIP VOLUNTEER. Come make a new friend. The Freedom School kids love their Covenant volunteer friends. Please join them on one or many more of their field trips. Be sure to register at Volunteer Hub and agree to the Child Protection Policy.
- AFTERNOON ACTIVITY. There are several dates available to prepare and lead an activity at Highland with the kids for an afternoon (about an hour and a half). These dates are great for special art or music projects, group service projects etc… Be Creative! Be sure to register at Volunteer Hub and agree to the Child Protection Policy.
- HARAMBEE READER. Read to the children at their morning pep rally. Quite an occasion!
- FINALE COORDINATOR. Coordinate the Summer Celebration/Finale luncheon for the kids on July 27.
- SITE CLEAN-UP. Help with packing and cleaning up the site on July 28.
- PARENT MEETINGS. Help serve dinner at the evening parent meetings at Highland on June 27, July 11 and July 18 (from 5:30-8 p.m.).
- SNACKS. Weekends can be a hungry time for our scholars. We are hoping to put together snack bags for the kids to take home each Friday. Contribute cereal bars, fruit cups, individual pretzel bags, crackers, fresh fruit or another healthy snack. No peanut butter.
- CHILDREN’S BOOKS. Did you know that the Charlotte Mecklenburg library regularly sells books taken out of circulation -- sometimes for as low as 10 cents per book? Next time you visit your local branch, please consider purchasing youth and children's books to share with our friends at Highland Renaissance Academy. Simply drop the books off in the Rec Wing. For questions, please contact Lauren Sawyers (email@example.com).
- CLEANING SUPPLIES. Freedom School Partners is collect cleaning supplies for Parent Gift Bags. We need items for the gift bags that are given to a family (selection by raffle) attending one of our 48 parent meetings this summer. These cleaning and hygiene articles are items that are essential to a household but cannot be purchased with food stamps. We need at least 144 gift bags for 16 sites.
Example list of items for gift bags/baskets:
1 sturdy bag or basket (some donors use laundry baskets or reusable grocery bags)
1 large container color-safe laundry detergent
1 large bottle dishwashing soap
1 spray bottle glass cleaner
1 can Lysol spray
1 medium bottle liquid hand soap
4 bars body soap
2 sticks deodorant
2 tubes toothpaste
4 rolls toilet paper
Please bring all contributions to the Covenant rec wing.